Thursday, July 21, 2011

What Mothers Do

Thank you to all the mothers who are out there. While the heart is so very tender, mothers have three basic responsibilites to their children.
1. Unconditional Rest.
2. Unconditional Presence.
3. Unconditional Voice.

Unconditional rest refers to the child moving toward the mother when tired. The mother comforts and then brings the child to a place of rest.
The child moves toward the mother in hunger, the mother gives the child's hunger rest.
The child moves toward the mother hurt, the mother fixes the ouchie.
The child moves toward the mother with a dirty diaper, the mother cleanses and restores the child. While the father and others can help, the mother is primary is imprinting the child to expect these basic needs to be taken care of for the rest of their lives.

Unconditional Presence. The mother is there. Always. And Loving. Even when the child does not deserve it. When the child is ill, the mother is present. The mother's unconditional presence brings quiet and rest to the child.

Unconditional Voice. The mother listens and celebrates the child's voice. The child learns that a certain voice will always be heard. The child begins to have confidence that their right voice will be heard and learns the difference about their wrong voice of complaining, accusing others, and other wrong use of their voice.

Some have suffered huge failure of their mother's to provide these basic needs. This creates gap in the person's life.

1 comment:

  1. I am led to say that mothers reflect the unseen image of the Holy Spirit:
    •Receiving the child in me to do what I cannot possibly do (so that I rest in His work);

    •Comforting the child in me when life is frustratingly puzzling and painful (when I lay my head in surrender upon His heart to receive His healing);

    •Speaking to me when I finally stop fidgeting, straining, and spinning in the loudness of my self (I believe my sigh of surrender MUST be simultaneous with the Spirit's inhalation before He speaks, soft and low).
    Isn't it fascinating that He only receives me as a child (Matt18:3).

    God bless you, PR

    ReplyDelete